Material Nouns in English (Examples, Words List a-z, Worksheet)
Material Nouns in English
The material, elements, or substances from which different kinds of things are made are called material nouns. For example, plastic, diamond, gypsum, and iron.
Materials nouns are tangible and uncountable. These are the raw elements found in nature, animals, or plants. Mainly, there are three sources of material nouns i.e. nature (rock, iron, gold, gypsum), animals (milk, wool, leather), and plants (tree, jute, cotton).
Rules of Material Nouns
- Articles (a, an, the) are not used with the material nouns. For example, I drink milk daily.
- The material nouns are uncountable but in case the material noun is countable, you can use, “a or an”. For example, I bought a silver watch.
- Words like “some” can be used in few cases. For example, I need some water.
- The bottle is made of plastic.
- Aluminum is the most white spread metal on the earth.
- The notebook is made of paper.
- Coal is an important primary fossil fuel.
- Tom has some unique utensils made of bronze.
- There are numerous health benefits of milk.
- Jute is widely used to make sacks and coarse cloth.
- The sweaters are made of fine wool.
- Bamboo storage baskets and bins are eco-friendly.
- I am fond of buying leather products.
Words List a-z
- Acrylic (plastic)
- Rexine (sheet)
Solve the worksheet by pointing out the material nouns in each sentence.
- A 100g of yogurt bowl contains 110 mg calcium in it. ( yogurt, calcium )
- The table is made of thin glass. ( ____________ )
- The farmer has planted hundred trees in his field. ( ____________ )
- This chair is made of pure pine wood. ( ____________ )
- Bob is fond of collecting precious gems. ( ____________ )
- She bought some gold ornaments for her wedding. ( ____________ )
- Gypsum is largely used in making cement, wallboard and plaster of paris. ( ____________ )
- The jug is full of creamy milk. ( ____________ )
- I bought rexine sheets from the market. ( ____________ )
- Sagano Bamboo Forest in Japan is a great attraction for tourists. ( __________ )
- yogurt, calcium
- gypsum, cement, wallboard,
- jug, milk