The Past Perfect Tense expresses an event that occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past. This tense is generally used in reported speech, third conditional sentences, or to show dissatisfaction with the past.
Read also: Verb Tenses with Examples
Past Perfect Tense Sentences
- Steve knew Singapore so well because he had visited the city several times.
- Alice understood the movie because she had read the book.
- He had finished his homework before he went to play football.
- If we had gone by taxi instead of a bus, we wouldn’t have been late.
- If John had studied harder, he would have passed the exam.
- Mary said she had already seen this film.
- Alice asked if I had read Harry Potter.
- I wish I had saved more money when I was young.
- He wished he had traveled when he was young.
- He had gone home before I came.
- She had cooked food before the kids came.
- If only I had taken more food. I’m hungry now.
- My wife had already cooked dinner when I reached home yesterday.
- He had broken his leg last week.
- When they got home yesterday, she had already cleaned the house.
- They had agreed on the agenda before the meeting ended.
- She had accepted my invitation.
- Alan had learned French until the last month.
- He had toured Rome before the end of the holiday.
- The patient had taken medicine before the doctor came.
- I asked her what places she had visited in Europe.
- We had left the town before the sun rose.
- The bus had stopped before we stepped out.
- The washerman had pressed the clothes before the customer came.
- She had already sung a song.
- My son had already gone to school before I came home.
- The police had disbursed the mob.
- My friend had posted a letter of congratulation before I met him.
- All the candidates had entered the examination hall before the exam began.
- The boss had already turned down my request.
- I had left the park before noon.
- The plane had taken off before the passengers arrived at the airport.
- He had already finished the work by last night.
- We had not heard this news till yesterday.
- I had not sold my property before 2015.
- People had not seen such a strange animal before.
- I had never been to an opera before last night.
- I had never seen such a beautiful town before I came here.
- Bob had not painted the window before the rain started.
- Amjad had not learned the lesson until yesterday.
- Tom had not been to Paris before the last summer.
- You had not informed me of the decision until today.
- The match had not finished when I switched on the TV.
- They had not come to any conclusion before the meeting ended.
- I had not reached my destination before the storm came.
- Had he completed the assignment by last week?
- Had he read the novel by last night?
- She was sad. What had she lost?
- Had they been married for 10 years when they divorced?
- What had you done to protect your house before the burglar broke into the house?