Common Noun: Definition, Examples, List and Exercise
In this post, you will learn about common noun definition, examples, lists, and exercises.
Let’s take a dive into it!
- Common Noun Examples
- Types of Common Noun
- Common Nouns List
- Common Noun Vs Proper Noun
A common noun is a generic word used to denote a thing, a place or a person.
The common noun is capitalized if it comes at the start of the sentence. It can be abstract, collective or concrete.
You can see it every where around you like, house, road, bike etc.
- A car is moving on the road.
- My house is located in the mid of the city.
- I am sitting on a chair.
A noun is categorized into two main types i.e. common noun and proper noun.
The common noun denotes things generally while proper nouns are the specific names of the things, places, or person.
Common Noun Examples
Look at the following examples. The bold word indicates a common noun in each example.
- I bought a laptop yesterday.
- Michael lives in Sydney. He is my fast friend.
- Fiji is a beautiful island. It is a great place to visit.
- I see a lot of people in the park every morning.
- She bought some new utensils.
- He is a humble man.
- The sailor is rowing the boat.
- My house is one kilometer away from the park.
- Santah is reading a novel.
- He has been living in this city for 10 years.
Types of Common Noun
Possessive common noun
Possessive common noun shows the ownership of a common noun, it can be quality, thing or idea. We use apostrophe and ‘s’ with the common noun. For example, man’s fate, bike’s color.
Singular common noun
A singular common noun indicates a single person, thing, or place. For example, a desk, a chair, or a man.
Plural common noun
Plural common noun shows plural items like chairs, desks, persons or places.
Common Nouns List
Here is a category wise list of common nouns
Common Noun Vs Proper Noun
It is very easy to distinguish between a common noun and a proper noun. By reading these easy to understand the difference, you will be able to distinguish between a common noun and a proper noun.
|Common Noun||Proper Noun|
|The generic word used to name a thing, a person, or a place.||The specific name of a person, a place, or a thing.|
|A common noun is a lowercase word. It is capitalized only when comes at the start of the sentence.||Proper nouns are always capitalized whether we write at the start of a sentence or at the beginning.|
|These are general names.||These are specific names.|
|Not every common noun has a proper noun. |
For example, hate ->?
|Every proper noun has a common noun. |
For example, Jon->Man
|Examples: man, women, city, country||Examples: Washington DC, Diana, Michael|
Find the common noun in the given sentences.
- Laura baked the cookies. ( __________ )
- The cat was sitting under the table. ( __________ )
- I have a large collection of books. ( __________ )
- She takes fresh juice every morning. ( __________ )
- Tom loves to ride the horse. ( __________ )
- He reads the newspaper every morning. ( __________ )
- In which country do you live? ( __________ )
- Her mother bought him a beautiful present. ( __________ )
- Bob is a very good painter. ( __________ )
- I was flying the kite yesterday. ( __________ )
- cat, table
- mother, present
This post is very helpful. I have been struggling with the definition of a noun for a while now and this post has cleared it up for me. Thank you!