What you will learn today!
Proper Noun Definition
Proper noun is a word used to specifically denote a person, animal, thing, or place.
Proper nouns are always capitalized, whether in the mid of sentence or at the start.
|Common Noun||Proper Noun|
|Animal (Dog)||Labrador Retriever|
|Thing||Pearson Algebra (textbook)|
How to identify proper nouns?
Capitalization of words is one identification point but remember that all capital words are not proper nouns.
Identify whether the capital word is a specific name or not. If it is a specific name, then it is a proper noun.
See these example sentences of a proper noun. The bold word in each sentence indicates the proper noun.
- Tom was my roommate in the university hostel.
- She completed her graduation from the University of Houston.
- Hamilton Park is an amazing place to visit.
- Jackson has been living in San Antonio for 20 years.
- London Road is a popular place in the United Kingdom.
- Melbourne Zoo is one of the best zoos in Australia.
- Do you like to visit Philip Island National Park?
- Marmoset monkeys are 18 inches in size.
- I bought Pearson Algebra 1 textbook.
- Sarah is baking cookies.
Let’s look at the list of proper nouns
- Michael Clarke
- Abraham Lincoln
- James Francis
- Jennifer Lopez
- Luke Martin
- Salma Hayek
- Doctor Norris
- Captain James
- Labrador Retriever (dog)
- Harz Roller (parrot)
- Persian Cat
- Woolly Rhinoceros
- Samsung Note 1
- Wendy’s Burger
- HP Laptop
- New York Times
- Divergent (book)
- Ferrari Car
- New York
- Disneyland Park
- 10 Downing Street
- Kew Gardens
- Oxford Street
- Mount Everest
- St. Louis National Park
Find the proper nouns in the given sentences and write it against each sentence.
- I use Kleenex tissues. ( __________ )
- Alex is my mentor. ( __________ )
- Tania was born in Glasgow. ( __________ )
- I am a fan of the book “The Power of Habit.” ( __________ )
- Akan National Park is a very beautiful place to visit. ( __________ )
- Lake Superior is the largest lake in the United States of America. ( __________ )
- Do you like Wendy’s fresh beef burger? ( __________ )
- The capital city of Poland is Warsaw. ( __________ )
- Disneyland Park was founded on 17th July 1955. ( __________ )
- We arrived at Heathrow Airport at 10 pm. ( __________ )
- Tania, Glasgow
- The Power of Habit
- Akan National Park
- Lake Superior, United States of America
- Poland, Warsaw
- Disneyland Park
- Heathrow airport
- What is a noun? Types of nouns with examples
- 50 Sentences of Nouns
- Common and proper nouns
- Common Noun: Definition, Examples, List and Exercise
- Parts of Speech Guide for Beginners