Simple Future Tense Examples, Formula and Exercises
Simple Future Tense is a verb form that refers to actions or states that will take place in the future. In many cases, it expresses actions that are expected or certain to occur in the future.
What is Simple Future Tense?
Simple future is formed by combining will or shall (first person singular, second person singular and the third person singular respectively) with base form of the verb.
In some cases, will/shall + base form can be used interchangeably with other tenses to convey a meaning in the future.
See these examples:
- I will go there tomorrow. OR
- I am going there tomorrow. (because I have plan to go there tomorrow)
- We are all going to watch a movie tonight. OR
- We are going to watch a movie tonight. (because we have plans to watch a movie tonight)
- Will you help me with my homework? OR
- Shall I help you with your homework?
Read also: 12 Verb Tenses with examples and formula
- Next week, year, month
- Think, hope, believe
There are a number of ways to make simple future tense.
Let’s see it!
In the first case, will/shall is used with the first form of verb.
Subject + will/shall + Base form(V1)
She will leave for Paris.
Generally, the use of shall, will, or “going to” does not make any difference in the meaning of the sentences. Sometimes, however, it does. “Going to” is normally used when the speaker intends the action or feels that the action is certain to happen.
Subject + is/am/are + going to + Base form(V1)
She is going to leave for Paris.
In another case, the present continuous tense is used to announce the future event which is already fixed or arranged. It is especially common with the verbs of movement.
Subject + is/am/are + present participle + future time reference
She is leaving for Paris next week.
Formula for affirmative sentences.
Subject + will/shall + base form (V1)
- He will plant the flowers.
- The chef will cook the meal.
Subject + will/shall + not + base form(V1)
- He will not plant the flowers.
- The chef will not cook the meal.
Will/shall + subject + base form(V1) + ?
- Will he plant the flowers?
- Will the chef cook the meal?
Rules / Usage
|Used to express future predictions||He will probably attend meeting in next week.|
|To make immediate decisions||I will drink coffee now.|
|To express promise, request or warnings.||There will be thunderstorm tomorrow.|
|To express hope or offer||The rain will stop tonight.|
|To show certain or definite actions that will happen||He will be 20 years old by next month.|
Simple Future Tense Examples (26 Sentences)
- He will travel to California next month.
- This watch will not cost much.
- The doctor will examine the patient tomorrow.
- The gardener is going to plant the saplings.
- I will not drink coffee.
- On Tuesday, the kids and I will go to the zoo.
- Once Lindsay has finished high school, she’ll start college.
- After he has saved enough money, Diego will travel around the world.
- They are going to arrange a dinner next week.
- Will the company launch a skincare product?
- Will the mechanic repair my bike?
- She will not be admitted to this college.
- He will wait for us in the park.
- We are going for a picnic tomorrow.
- She will leave for New York tonight.
- It will be winter soon.
- There will be flying cars by 2030.
- He will celebrate his birthday next Monday.
- Tom will complete his degree by the end of this year.
- I will call you later.
- We will see you all on Friday.
- She will get here by noon.
- It will rain at some point today.
- They will make their decision next week.
- I will post the letter this evening.
- They will receive the money in 3 days.
- He __________ a lot of money. (earn)
- He __________ your. (adore)
- _____ you _____ the door for me? (open)
- I __________ you back later. (call)
- He __________ her a present. (buy)
- My bike is out of order. I __________ it tomorrow. (fix)
- You are suffering from fever. You __________ better soon. (get)
- I __________ your parents about your behavior. (tell)
- What ______ you _____ next? (do)
- It __________ 1st of July tomorrow. (be)
- will earn
- will adore
- Will you open the door for me?
- will call
- will buy
- will fix
- will get
- will tell
- What will you do next?
- will be
Read also: 50 Sentences of Simple Future Tense
Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!
This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me. Thank you!
Very nice write-up. I absolutely love this site. Keep writing!
Found it helpful.
That helped me a lot. Thanks
I couldn’t refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!