Present Continuous (Progressive) Tense refers to actions happening in present time. It is one of the forms of verb tenses and in this post, we are talking about present continuous tense formula, examples and its usage. Let’s start with the definition!
Present continuous or present progressive tense is used to describe the action that is taking place at the time of speaking.
In present continuous tense, we use present participle.
Formula for affirmative sentences.
Subject + is/am/are + present participle + object
- He/She/It + is + present participle.
- I + am + present participle.
- They/We/You + are + present participle.
- I am taking my meal.
- It is raining now.
Subject + is/am/are + not + present participle + object
- I am not taking my meal.
- It is not raining now.
Interrogative Sentences (Questions)
Is/am/are + subject + present participle + object + ?
- Am I taking my meal?
- Is it raining now?
|Actions happening right now.||The stars are twinkling.|
|To describe the planned actions.||I am taking my final exam.|
|To describe someone’s routine.||He is studying in the library.|
|To describe the recurring acts||The climate is getting hotter every year.|
|Announcements in media (television, radio or newspapers etc.||The government is trying to reduce the virus cases.|
|To state a future event that is already arranged.||She is leaving for London tomorrow.|
- The girls are playing netball.
- The students are buying new books.
- They are sitting idle.
- I am spending my vacations at a hill station.
- Shahida is singing a sad song today.
- She is learning French.
- He is shooting the birds.
- The labourer is pushing the carriage.
- The culprit is confessing his crime.
- Our leaders are working day and night for the prosperity of the country.
- The girls are not playing netball.
- The students are not buying new books.
- They are not sitting idle.
- I am not spending my vacations at a hill station.
- Shahida is not singing a sad song today.
- She is not learning French.
- He is not shooting the birds.
- The labourer is not pushing the carriage.
- The culprit is not confessing his crime.
- Our leaders are not working day and night for the prosperity of the country.
- Are the girls playing netball?
- Are the students buying new books?
- Are they sitting idle?
- Am I spending my vacations at a hill station?
- Is Shahida singing a sad song today?
- Is she learning French?
- Is he shooting the birds?
- Is the labourer pushing the carriage?
- Is the culprit confessing his crime?
- Are our leaders working day and night for the prosperity of the country?
- How are you __________ winter vacations? (spend)
- I __________ the clothes. (not, iron)
- Why are they __________ the house to the ground? (raze)
- He __________ to me attentively. (not, listen)
- The doctor __________ the pulse of the patients. (feel)
- The mechanic __________ the water tape. (repair)
- You __________ a fantastic job as Sales Manager. (do)
- Tom __________ English grammar rules. (learn)
- She __________ a sponge cake. (bake)
- He __________ a sound sleep now. (enjoy)
- How are you spending winter vacations?
- I am not ironing the clothes/
- Why are they razing the house to the ground?
- He is not listening to me attentively.
- The doctor is feeling the pulse of the patients.
- The mechanic is repairing the water tape.
- You are doing a fantastic job as Sales Manager.
- Tom is learning English grammar rules.
- She is baking a sponge cake.
- He is enjoying a sound sleep now.
Previous post: Simple Present Tense (Formula, Examples & Exercises)