An adverb of frequency tells how often something happens. It can be used to describe an action, a state, or a condition. Some common adverbs of frequency are always, usually, sometimes, and never. Each one has a specific meaning that should be used in.
What is Adverb of Frequency?
An adverb of frequency is a word that describes how often something happens. It can be used to describe an action, a state, or a weather condition.
For example, They always eat healthy foods.
In this example “always” refers to the frequency of eating healthy foods, it is an adverb of frequency.
Adverb of frequency answers the question “how often?” For example, “I always study for my tests.” This means that the person usually studies for their tests. They don’t just do it once.
Another example would be, “I never go out on weekends.” This means that the person almost never goes out on weekends. There might be an exception here or there, but generally speaking, they don’t go out on weekends.
Read More: 11 Types of Adverb with Examples
Adverb of Frequency List
- Hardly ever
Adverb of Frequency Examples
These are the examples of adverb of frequency.
- I always drink milk in the morning.
- He always arrives on time for work.
- She always wears a smile.
- You always come across as friendly and warm.
- They always take care of their belongings.
- This restaurant is always crowded on weekends.
- I am always happy to help out my friends!
- I always get up at 7am.
- Tom usually works until 5pm.
- They usually have dinner at 6pm.
- I usually watch TV for a while after dinner.
- He usually goes to bed at 11pm.
- I usually sleep for 8 hours.
- I usually wake up feeling refreshed.
- I usually wake up at 7am, but sometimes I wake up at 6:30am.
- My classroom is normally on the third floor, but yesterday it was on the first floor.
- Jacob comes down the chimney, but sometimes he comes through the door.
- Normally, I would be upset that I woke up late, but I’m not because I slept in later than usual.
- Dogs usually bark when they see someone they don’t know, but this dog just wagged its tail.
- Generally, I don’t eat a lot of processed foods.
- Generally, they try to get seven to eight hours of sleep each night.
- Generally, eating healthy and getting enough exercise are two of the most important things you can do for your health.
- Generally, stress can have negative effect on your health.
- We often go out to eat.
- They often watch TV.
- She often works late.
- It often rains in Seattle.
- He often plays video games.
- I often have to get up early for work.
- We often go on walks together.
- They often come over for dinner.
- I sometimes feel like I’m not good enough.
- I sometimes feel like people only tolerate me.
- I sometimes feel like people only care about me because they have to.
- I sometimes feel like people are waiting for me to mess up.
- I sometimes feel like I’m not worth their time or effort.
- He sometimes feels like he is not worth anyone’s time or effort.
- I like to drink coffee occasionally.
- I only drink coffee occasionally.
- Sometimes I drink coffee, and sometimes I don’t.
- Do you want to come over for dinner tonight? We can order in pizza or something else occasionally.
- My parents only visit me occasionally because they live so far away.
- We only see each other occasionally, but it’s always great when we do catch up.
- I seldom eat fast food.
- I seldom watch TV.
- They seldom drink soda.
- I seldom use my phone for anything other than talking or texting.
- Tom seldom drives his car.
- I seldom sleep in past 7am on weekends!
- I hardly ever eat fast food.
- He hardly ever drinks alcohol.
- We scarcely ever see each other outside of work.
- It’s hard to believe she’s only been married for a year – she hardly ever wears her ring!
- They never go out – they’re hardly ever seen in public together.
- I can’t remember the last time I saw her – she must be hardly ever at home.
- She works so hard – she only gets weekends off and even then she’s hardly ever free!
- I rarely see her at the club.
- He is rarely home on the weekends.
- I seldom eat fast food, it’s not good for you.
- We barely made it to the party on time.
- The teacher hardly ever assigns homework on Fridays.
- She nearly missed her flight because she didn’t leave enough time to get to the airport.
- He scores goals frequently, but he doesn’t always win games.
- I never thought I’d see them again after all these years!
- I will never understand quantum mechanics.
- I will never be able to bench press more than 200 pounds.
- You will never be able to finish this article.
- He will never be able to resist your siren song, my dear.
- I will never forgive you for what you did to me.
- I will never forget the time we spent together.
- I will never forget the way you made me feel when we were together.
- I go to the gym weekly.
- He reads the newspaper daily.
- They pay me rent monthly.
- I see my friends weekly.
- I go to bed at 10pm nightly.
- I get paid biweekly.
- The meeting is scheduled for weekly, but I think we should move it to hourly.
- I generally do my shopping daily, but sometimes I’ll go twice a week.
- He works on the farm hourly and he’s been doing it for years now.
- We usually have our staff meetings monthly, but maybe we should have them more often?
Adverb of Frequency Worksheet with Answers
Identify the adverb of frequency from these sentences.
- He is talking about your monthly bills. ( monthly )
- I’m going to work on this project daily. ( __________ )
- She always does her chores monthly. ( __________ )
- I will never see the end of this tunnel. ( __________ )
- We always study hard for exams. ( __________ )
- I will never forget what you did to me. ( __________ )
- Most people normally eat three meals a day, but I only eat two meals a day. ( __________ )
- Penguins usually live in cold climates, but this penguin is living in Florida. ( __________ )
- Mosquitoes usually bite humans, but this mosquito didn’t bite me. ( __________ )
- Generally, I try to avoid caffeine before bed. ( __________ )
- Generally speaking, I prefer to work from home. ( __________ )
- I often forget to feed my cat. ( __________ )
- He often forgets his homework. ( __________ )
- I seldom buy clothes. ( __________ )
- I sometimes feel like a burden to my family. ( __________ )
- I usually have breakfast at 8am. ( __________ )