A possessive adjective is used to modify a noun or a pronoun and show ownership. For example, in the sentence, “This dog is my pet”, ‘This’ and ‘my’ are possessive adjectives.
The word possessive (adjective) is used to describe something or someone that belongs to another person, or that has been owned by another person in the past.
What are possessive adjectives?
There are different types of adjectives. A possessive adjective is a word that modifies a noun by telling something about the noun’s owner. For example, in the sentence “Mark’s car,” the word “Mark’s” tells us that the car belongs to Mark.
Examples of Possessive Adjectives
See some common examples of possessive adjectives.
- Your teeth are wonderful.
- I’m not sure whether I’ll pass my driving test.
- His family are very bad at cooking.
- We drove our car to the office.
- Her arms were too short to reach the cookie jar.
- Your headline should contain the bare essentials that a reader would want to know.
- Our main aim is to elicit your interests in order to better market our services.
- Her hobbies include knitting, reading and cooking.
- The salesman handed her his card and told her to call him.
- My third novel is one of the best selling books in history.
List of Possessive Adjectives (Chart)
|its||singular (used for a thing or animal)||I have a car. Its color is pale yellow.|
|his||singular (used for male)||It is not his duty to assist you.|
|her||singular (used for female)||What is about her hairstyle?|
|your||singular/plural (used for male or female)||Our current solutions can support your business for many years to come|
|my||singular (used for male or female)||My sister can’t drive because of her eyesight.|
|whose||singular/plural (used for things or animals)||Whose hand is on that picture?|
|our||plural (used for people, things, or animals)||Our favorite sport is baseball.|
|their||plural (used for people, animals, or things)||Their plan is to take this opportunity to better themselves and their company.|
20 Sentences with possessive adjectives
- Our goal is to become the best.
- Their target as a team was to win the champions trophy.
- Whose mission statement is to provide premium customer service?
- Your dream is to be successful in life.
- Our planet has a variety of animals that call it home.
- They are all created differently, and their backgrounds play a role in who they are.
- The history of his family is an interesting one, spanning generations and continents.
- Her child need to be taken care of.
- Without my friends and loved ones around me, I would feel lost or lonely.
- There are five rooms in your house.
- There were a lot of books on her bookshelf.
- I walked over to my car and opened the door.
- He picked up his keys and closed their apartment door behind him.
- They came out of the library, holding their books in one hand.
- I wasn’t sure if she was going to be your date or theirs.
- Don’t be afraid to inject humor into your writing.
- His flashlight was broken because it was old.
- Our primary goal is to deliver quality products and services.
- It was one of those moments when you just didn’t know whose side to take.
- His brother had a job they loved but his parents always wanted theirs.
Why use possessive adjective?
Possession is the relationship between a thing and the person or people who have rights to it. A possessive adjective shows that you own something by connecting an object with its owner. For example, my book, your pen, her sister.
Possessive Adjectives Vs Possessive Pronouns
The main difference is that the possessive adjective is always used with (followed by) a noun while possessive pronoun is used without a noun. Following chart shows you personal pronoun, their relevant form in possessive pronoun and possessive adjective.
|Personal Pronoun||Possessive Adjective||Possessive Pronoun|
Possessive Adjectives Worksheet
Highlight the possessive adjective in these sentences.
- His friend will meet him at the airport.
- My brother plays soccer and I play tennis.
- Your new shoes look great. They match your dress perfectly!
- Your work is not done until you have trained your employees to do their jobs
- My grandmother is watching his favorite movie.
- I saw her walking down the street.
- Her dog was a black Labrador.
- Our parking lot is reserved specifically for our customers.
- They are looking forward to your feedback.
- Our team is working hard to make a positive impact on the community.
- your, their
- Adjective Examples (50 Sentences)
- Adjectives Exercises with Answers
- Parts of Speech with Examples
- Parts of Speech Chart
- Parts of Speech Examples