What’s the difference between “my” and “we” in business?
Good question. “My” is the possessive form of “me”; it refers to yourself. The word “we” refers to your team.
The possessive pronouns shows belongings or possessions.
Let’s discuss more about them!
Possessive Pronouns Usage/Rules
We use apostrophe and an “s”
- Sara’s brother was named Sammy.
- Maria’s computer was clean.
- Sophia’s sister went to school.
All possessive cases of personal pronoun are also possessive pronoun “My, Mine, Our, Ours, You, Yours, His, Her, Their, Its.
- This is my pen
- Its price is Rs. 10$
- That is a table
- This computer is our
Use of Apostrophe in Possessive Case
When the noun is singular, it is formed possessive by adding ‘s’ to the noun
- My mother’s hobby is surfing
- The yellow one is my dad’s car
When the noun is plural, and ends in s, the possessive case is formed by adding only an apostrophe
- The cat’s food is in the kitchen
- Where is the kid’s room?
When the thing is motionless, “of” is used instead of “s”
For example: The leg of table, The hands of a watch
Use of apostrophe () with the living things when “s” is already present with these words. For example: Boy’s High School, Girl’s shoes.
Possessive Pronouns Examples
- I accepted their invitation.
- Tom was on the way when his car stopped.
- His handwriting is as good as mine.
- Her parrot is cute but not as active as ours.
- His paintings are mysterious and strange.
- I have done my duty. It is your turn now.
- We attended his party last night.
- Her eyes are grey in color.
- Is it Julia’s parrot? No, it is mine.
- Her shirt is white. Mine is blue.
- The friends went to the restaurant to eat their favorite pizza.
- A hippopotamus is herbivorous mammal. Its bite can kill any animal.
- The diamond ring is hers.
- Tom is as tall as his brother.
- Jim tore his documents in anger.
- Mine (singular)
- One’s (singular)
- Its (singular)
- His (singular)
- Hers (singular)
- Yours (singular /plural)
- Ours (plural)
- Theirs (plural)
Exercise of Possessive Pronouns
- Which of the following is a possessive pronoun?
- Which is a plural possessive pronoun
- Which possessive pronoun is for male/female?
- Which one is correct
- It’s mine
- It mine
- its mine
- Choose the correct answers
- This chair is her.
- This chair is hers.
- This chair is of hers.
- The possessive pronouns are used to show belongings/ownership.
- It’s mine.
- The chair is hers.
- Possessive Pronouns Predicate
- Personal Pronouns [Chart, Examples & 5 Types]
- 8 Parts of Speech with Examples
- Sentences of Pronoun (50 Examples)
- Personal Pronoun Worksheet and Exercise
- Different Types of Pronouns with 60+ Perfect Examples