Simile and Metaphor Examples (50 Sentences)
Similes and metaphors are a great way to add some spice and help make your writing more interesting. For example, a simile is a sentence that says “X is like Y” or “X is as Y as.” A metaphor is a sentence that says “X is Y.” Both are comparisons, but there are differences in the way they’re put together.
Simile and Metaphor Examples
Similes and metaphors are two types of figurative language that use comparison to create a vivid image in the mind of the reader. Figurative language is often used in poetry since it helps readers experience an event or feeling.
Metaphors compare two things that aren’t literally related, whereas similes show how one thing is like something else. Here are some examples of both: “Rose-petal lips” (metaphor) | “She’s as soft as silk” (simile).
- By comparing one thing to another, we are making a link between two things that are very different
- People learn the meaning of the words we use by linking new words to old ones
Simile Example Sentences
- The shiny new bicycle was like a new toy.
- A red like blood.
- The fall of the empire was as swift as a falling star.
- Beautiful as advertising.
- He acts like a bull in a china shop!
- Narrow as a corridor.
- Her voice was like velvety chocolate.
- The book is as black as coal.
- She smiled like the Mona Lisa.
- She is like a flower.
- The weather today is as warm as summer.
- She was as cute as a button.
- A bad sleep makes you as tired as an elephant.
- Being a hard worker is like washing windows.
- The food was awful. It was like eating cardboard.
- She looked pale as margarine.
- He smiled as if butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth.
- The music played on and on like the sound made by a flute.
- The mire looked like soapy water.
- The child crawled into her mother’s lap, like a contented kitten.
- The trees were swaying in the wind as if they had no bones.
- It was just like her to keep a tight rein on her emotions.
- She is as mild as milk.
- Sadness and happiness are like the moon and sun; they have their seasons, following each other like day and night.
- The experience of watching your child be born and taken away at the same moment is like having your cake and eating it too.
Metaphor Example Sentences
- She is a rock of stability.
- Love is blind.
- He’s a burning candle.
- He is a sleeping tiger.
- His voice trailed off
- That woman has the face of an angel.
- For a moment, she paused
- A sense of dread washed over him
- The basement door creaked open.
- He stabbed the air with his pointer.
- He had made a belly full of promises he could not keep, and now he was singing the blues.
- He is a shark that will eat you up.
- Her eyes glinted with mischief.
- All I wanted to do was curl up on the sofa and vegetate until springtime.
- You’ve got some nerve!
- She was on cloud nine.
- The team members were off their game.
- The snow is a white blanket that covers the enemy.
- Inclement weather stopped him from leaving the house.
- The chair is the boss’s throne.
- She is an octopus at juggling tasks.
- The internet is a library of information.
- She carried him on her back to safety.
- When the ball was under pressure, it exploded, but exploded violently.
- His music was the light at the end of the tunnel.
- The light of his music lit up everyone in the room
- Their clothes are a testimony of their social status in the society
Posts related to sentences
- Types of a Sentence (With Examples)
- Simple, Compound and Complex Sentences [Explained with Examples]
- 71 Idioms with Meaning and Sentences for Daily Use
- Singular and Plural Nouns 50 Examples
- Demonstrative Pronouns (Chart, Uses, Examples & 50 Sentences)
- Distributive Pronouns (50 Example Sentences & Exercise)
- Reciprocal Pronouns Exercise, Worksheet & Sentences
- Sentences with Either – or | Either or fallacy
- Sentences with However at the beginning & middle (50+ Examples)
- Future Perfect Continuous Tense Sentences | 50 Examples
- Present Perfect Continuous Tense Sentences (50 Examples)
- 50 Sentences of Simile (Common Examples of Simile)
- No Sooner Than Sentences (31 Examples)
- Future Perfect Tense Sentences | 50 Examples
- Sentences of Pronoun (50 Examples)
- Past Perfect Continuous Tense Sentences in English (Affirmative, Negative & Questions)
- Past Perfect Tense with Examples (30 Sentences), Formula & Rules
- Present Perfect Tense Sentences (Affirmative, Negative & Interrogative) | 50 Examples
- Collective Nouns Sentences (50 Examples)
- Past Perfect Tense Sentences | 50 Examples
- Simple Present Tense Sentences (50 Examples)
- 50 Examples of Abstract Nouns (Sentences of Abstract Nouns)
- 50 Sentences of Present Continuous Tense
- Conjunction Sentences (50 Examples)
- Future Continuous Tense Sentences | 50 Examples
- 50 Sentences of Simple Past Tense (Affirmative, Negative, Questions)
- Simple Future Tense Sentences | 50 Examples
- Sentences with Countable and Uncountable Nouns (50 Examples)
- There is – There are Sentences | 50 Examples
- Has Have Had use in sentences | 50 Examples
- Was Were Sentences | 50 Examples
- Is am are sentences in English (50 Examples)
- 50 Sentences of Preposition
- Sentences of Nouns (50 Examples)
- Examples of Common Nouns | 50 Sentences
- Past Continuous Tense Sentences (Affirmative, Negative & Questions)
- Do Does Did Sentences (50 Examples)
- 50 Sentences of Adverbs
- 50 Sentences of Verb
- Examples of Proper Nouns (35 Sentences)
- Sentences of Adjectives (50 Examples)
thanks for contribution.