If you have learned the verb tenses, you will know the present perfect tense for sure; if not, then read today’s post.
In this post, we are narrating present perfect tense definition, formula, its usage with examples and exercises at the end.
The present perfect tense is used to describe the actions that are completed in the present. The actions may start in the past and continued until the present time.
Formula / Structure
The formula for affirmative, negative and question sentences is given here.
Formula for affirmative sentences.
Subject + has/have + past participle(V3) + object
He/She/It + has + past participle
I/We/They/You + have + past participle
- They have performed the duty.
- She has informed me about her decision.
Subject + has/have + not + past participle(V3) + object
- They have not performed the duty.
- She has not informed me about her decision.
Has/have + subject + past participle(V3) + object + ?
- Have they performed the duty?
- Has she informed me about her decision?
Rules / Usage
|To show the work that is recently completed.||She has just baked the cake.|
|For a specific moment of time.||I have lived in this city since 2011.|
|How long actions continued?||He has had a pup for two years|
|To express the time period||They have been at duty for 8 hours.|
|To describe the finished or completed actions.||He has taken the exam today.|
|Announcement in media||The corona-virus has damaged the economy of the world.|
- He has spilt milk.
- I have visited Paris three times.
- Roshana has taken her meal in the afternoon.
- The court has given its verdict today.
- Jimmy has attended the business meeting.
- The chef has cooked the meal.
- She has been at work since 6 a.m.
- I have learned my lesson.
- I have drunk two cups of coffee today.
- He has stopped responding to my emails.
- He has not spilt milk.
- I have not visited Paris three times.
- Roshana has not taken her meal in the afternoon.
- The court has not given its verdict today.
- Jimmy has not attended the business meeting.
- The chef has not cooked the meal.
- She has not been at work since 6 a.m.
- I have not learned my lesson.
- I have not drunk two cups of coffee today.
- He has not stopped responding to my emails..
- Has he spilt milk?
- Have I visited Paris three times?
- Has Roshana taken her meal in the afternoon?
- Has the court given its verdict today?
- Has Jimmy attended the business meeting?
- Has the chef cooked the meal?
- Has she been at work since 6 a.m.?
- Have I learned my lesson?
- Have I drunk two cups of coffee today?
- Has he stopped responding to my emails?
- He _______________ to the office. (not come)
- Jimmy _______________ a bike since 2018. (has)
- I ________________ this novel twice. (read)
- Snake charmer ______________ bagpipe in his hand. (has)
- Who _______________ you? (deceived)
- I _______________ at home for three months. (stay)
- The company ______________ a bonus salary for its employees. (announce)
- He _______________ off the stairs. (fall)
- Tom _______________ some flowers. (plant)
- The sales manager ______________ the target of sales for this quarter. (achieve)
- He has not come to the office.
- Jimmy has had a bike since 2018.
- I have read this novel twice.
- Snake charmer has had bagpipe in his hand.
- Who has deceived you?
- I have stayed at home for three months.
- The company has announced a bonus salary for its employees.
- He has fallen off the stairs.
- Tom has planted some flowers.
- The sales manager has achieved the target of sales for this quarter.