Simple Present Tense is one of the forms of verb tenses that refers to the present time. We will see its formula and usage with examples. Let’s start with the definition!
Simple present tense also called present indefinite tense, is used to express general statements and describe usual or habitual actions. In simple words, we can say that the simple present tense is used to describe routine acts.
Its formula is very simple as only base form of verb is used.
Formula for affirmative sentences.
Subject + Base form(V1) + “s/es” for third person + object
- I take my meals at night.
- It rains in winter.
Subject + do/does not + base form(V1) + object
- I do not take my meals at night.
- It does not rain in winter.
Do/does + subject + base form(V1) + object + ?
- Do I take my meals at night?
- Does it rain in winter?
Rules / Usage
|To make simple statements.||I take breakfast daily.|
|To show permanent facts.||The sun rises in the east.|
|To describe the feeling or emotions.||I become nervous during the exams.|
|To show habitual actions.||He takes exercise daily for 30 minutes.|
|To state recurring acts||It snows every winter.|
|Mathematical or scientific statements.||Two plus two equals four.|
Water freezes at zero degree centigrade.
|To give instructions or demonstrations.||Bake the cookies in the oven for 20 minutes.|
|Time/date||The bus leaves at 8 o’clock daily.|
|Announcements in media (television, radio or newspapers etc.||Global virus cases exceed one million.|
- The sun sets in the west.
- I assent with your proposal.
- They work hard all day.
- Abuzar attributes his success to hard work.
- The cows graze in the field.
- Man clings to hope even on the deathbed.
- He conspires against his friends.
- The sun does not set in the west.
- I do not assent with your proposal.
- They do not work hard all day.
- Abuzar does not attribute his success to hard work.
- The cows do not graze in the field.
- Man does not cling to hope even on the deathbed.
- He does not conspire against his friends.
- Does the sun set in the west?
- Do I assent with your proposal?
- Do they work hard all day?
- Does Abuzar attribute his success to hard work?
- Do the cows graze in the field?
- Does man cling to hope even on the deathbed?
- Does he conspire against his friends?
- The government __________ five hour complete lock-down for one month. (announce)
- Tom __________ with his teacher on all matters. (consult)
- Our hostel __________ of 30 rooms. (consist)
- They __________ with each other. (not cooperate)
- She __________ after his mother. (not take)
- We __________ bath daily. (take)
- The old woman __________ beautiful flowers. (sell)
- I __________ the Holy Quran daily. (recite)
- He __________ his summer vacation at hill station. (spend)
- Jimmy __________ to eat fruits. (like)
Read also: 50 Sentences of Simple Present Tense
- do not cooperate
- does not take
- Simple Present Tense (Formula, Examples & Exercises)
- 50 Sentences of Simple Present Tense
- Simple Present Tense Worksheets
- Present Continuous Tense Formula, Examples & Usage
- 50 Sentences of Present Continuous Tense
- Present Continuous Tense Worksheets
- Present Perfect Tense with Examples
- 50 Sentences of Present Perfect Tense
- Present Perfect Tense Worksheets
- Present Perfect Continuous Tense Examples, Exercise, & Structure
- 50 Sentences of Present Perfect Continuous Tense
- Present Perfect Continuous Tense Worksheets