Adverbs of Number (Examples & List)
Adverbs of number tell you how many things are involved in the action or state described by the verb. They can be used to modify adjectives, verbs, or other adverbs.
There are three types of adverbs of number: cardinal, ordinal, and multiplicative.
- Cardinal Adverb: These are numerals such as one, two, three
- Ordinal Adverb: These join phrases such as firstly, secondly, etc.
- Multiplicative Adverb: Used to show number of cases like twice, thrice, etc.
Adverb of Number List
- firstly, secondly, thirdly,….. lastly
- once, twice, thrice,
- daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthly, yearly, bi-yearly
Adverb of Number Examples
Here are some examples of adverb of number.
- Firstly, children should be encouraged to play with a variety of toys and gadgets.
- Secondly, a work sponsorship will allow the employee to be more productive.
- Thirdly, the new fitness training program helps workers stay healthy.
- Firstly, I would like to say that adverbs are important words in English.
- Secondly, adverbs modify verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs.
- Thirdly, there are many different types of adverbs.
- Lastly, you can use adverbs to make your writing more interesting and exciting!
- Incredible! I once got my first job at the age of 16.
- My living room is twice as big as the study room.
- I have rung your office thrice! When are you coming?
- I get paid monthly.
- I visit my parents yearly.
- My lease is monthly.
- I never eat breakfast.
- I always take the bus to work.
- I often go for a run after work.
- I seldom watch TV.
- I sometimes have dinner with my parents.
- I can only do this once, so make it count!
- We just threw a party once; it was the perfect opportunity to try our new decoration.
- I used to eat regularly at McDonald’s, but now I only go there once or twice a year.
- The new coffee shop is twice as big as the old coffee shop.
- I need to do this twice to make sure it’s correct.
- I did it thrice and it still wasn’t right.
- Firstly, I would like to thank you for your support.
- Secondly, I want to apologize for the delay.
- Thirdly, let me introduce myself.
- Fourthly, where are you from?
- Fifthly, what do you do?
- Lastly, it is an excellent opportunity for me to work with you.
- Firstly, the root cause of the problem must be identified to deal with it.
- Secondly, you must answer why such conditions need to be created.
- Thirdly, we have to accept that this is a global problem and every individual needs to do something about it.
- Lastly, I conclude by saying that we need to control population growth to solve this crisis.